Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Important: 2 years on.

In 2010, my beautiful cousin recommended I enter the Mental Health Council of Australia's photography competition to help promote World Mental Health day.

I thought about the message I needed to convey, and how I would do it in an eye-catching, effective way.

I brainstormed some words that came to mind when I thought of Depression & Anxiety.

ALONE

DOWN

DARK

FEAR

IRRELEVANT

ISOLATED


I needed to pack a punch with this one, and really depict what it would feel like to suffer these things on a daily basis.
It's one thing to really understand the message you wish to convey (and to be able to describe it in words), but to display it visually, is quite another.

I asked my friend, Phil, to help me out with the shot. I wanted to focus on the isolation and fear factor. The colour RED popped to mind.

So I set up a tripod with my 7D attached (didn't have my 5D back then!), in the middle of one of the busiest places I could find on a Sunday - Circular Quay in Sydney, and jumped in the frame to do my best at conveying loneliness.
I got Phil's help to basically just make sure no-one stole my camera as there can be some dodgy people around and I wasn't risking it..

I got the exact image I was after (not first try mind you!) and submitted it to MHCA for consideration.
They uploaded it to their Facebook page, and it gained an overwhelming response from people, many of which said they suffer anxiety/depression, and could relate completely to this image.

To my surprise, a fortnight later, Natalie from MHCA informed me that I'd won the competition. The prize included flights, accommodation, and tickets for 2 to attend the 2010 National Mental Health Open Forum, where I would be asked to speak about my image and what it means to me.

My image was used on Marketing & Promotional material nation-wide to promote World Mental Health Day. I've seen it on brochures, bus stop ads, postcards, and even a billboard in Canberra.
After another promo brochure was delivered to me this week, featuring my image again, I thought I'd share the image itself and some taken at the Open Forum.




Excuse the poor quality - I've resorted to using a low res file due to previous image theft.

Being presented with my framed print by Rob Knowles, Chairman of MHCA, and about to speak (super nervously) about the concept.

Quick snap with David Crosbie, CEO of the Mental Health Council of Australia, Senator Rachel Siewert of the Australian Greens and Hon Rob Knowles, Chairman of MHCA.



 After speaking at the event about what I tried to convey here, a lovely paraplegic man approached me, tears in his eyes, and thanked me for showing Australia what he had been trying to explain for years.
We spoke for ten or so minutes about his physical and mental health, and he told me he was a poet and started writing because he couldn't speak openly about his conditions. He felt that his poetry allowed him to say things "in code". He told me that he never spoke to his family about his mental wellbeing because he was scared he would lose their respect, or that they would talk to him as if he was a child, and tackle conversation with him as if they were walking on eggshells.

It was then, that I realised two things.

Not only had I succeeded in conveying all those "brainstormed words" through the photograph (insert me high-fiving myself here), but that I was doing exactly what I was meant to do in life.

Telling stories through pictures.

My support for the MHCA is ongoing, and I am proud of Australia for how far we've come with financial support and resources for those with Mental Health disorders over the past ten years.
However, it is not enough.

I urge you all to promote the importance of Mental Health & Wellbeing throughout your community in hopes of a better future, treatment & social acceptance for those who need it.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I loved reading of your experience here to create the perfect image to capture what it means to have depression and anxiety. I think I remember this image on billboards etc....wow... I'm kind of at a loss for words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible photograph. Congratulations on your award :) This is a lovely post about what exactly goes into an image (a lot more than just one click of coarse).

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning image!!!! and yes such a fantastic cause to promote and raise awareness about - good on you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautifully written and thank you for the ongoing work you do for Mental Health awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting to hear the story behind this incredible image. Well done you, amazing thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your lovely comments!
    I appreciate you reading xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you KE! That is an amazing image and a wonderful heartfelt story to go with your great creation! You should be PROUD!

    ReplyDelete